During the month of January, National Mentoring Month is a celebration of those caring adults who give of their most valuable resource—their time—to improve the lives of at-risk or disadvantaged youth. At Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central West Virginia, multiple events are scheduled throughout the month to bring awareness to the importance of mentoring in the face of ongoing problems that challenge local youth each day. In light of challenges to West Virginia youth, such as educational achievement gaps and family drug addiction, Big Brothers and Sisters play a critical role in the lives of children and are proven to help reduce the risk of drug use, truancy, and other detrimental behaviors in their Littles.
- Each Monday, our executive director, Sara McDowell, will host a live social media broadcast on the Blab app to highlight #MondayMentorMoment. She will interview guests including board members, Bigs, and Littles about the impact mentoring has had on their lives. The link will be available via all social media pages.
- Facebook – /biglittlewv
- Twitter – @biglittlewv and #biglittlewv
Calendar of Events
- January 18, 2016 – Big Brothers Big Sisters will invite all program participants to be involved in a service project in honor of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. The project will focus on a local organization that is involved in giving back to the community.
- January 21, 2016 – The West Virginia Legislature will host Mentoring Day at the Legislature. During the day, Bigs will be honored for their ongoing work as mentors and a proclamation will be read from the floor to highlight the critical need that mentors fill in the lives of West Virginia youth. Additionally, Littles will have the opportunity to shadow delegates and senators in their offices to gain an understanding of the legislative process.
- January 23, 2016 – Big Brothers Big Sisters will hold a luncheon to honor our Bigs for their commitment to making a difference for area youth. An information session will also be held for any interested adult who wants to learn more about how they can impact the life of a child for the better, forever.
- January 28, 2016 – Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central WV will be one of the sponsors of Kids and Families Day at the WV Legislature. Designed to give everyday kids and families a voice, this day will highlight issues that working families and children face in their areas.